Sons of Liberty Video Clip

Sunday, June 20, 2010

On Fathers Day, Freedom's Wine Gives Thanks

This article originally appeared on florencefreedom.com. Check it out today!

Freedom Report: A Profile of Cory Wine

Nick Dobreff / Florence Freedom

FLORENCE, KY - Baseball has long been synonymous with the bond between father and son.

The difference between coach and spectator mirrors the tightrope all fathers walk as both stern disciplinarians and understanding confidants. And often a simple catch with Dad says more then the deepest conversation.

For Freedom infielder Cory Wine, the bond goes even deeper.

Wine is a third generation professional baseball player, following in the footsteps of his father, Robbie Wine, and grandfather, Bobby Wine, both former major leaguers. Robbie is also the head baseball coach at Penn State University, where Cory played and starred as a four-year starter for the Nittany Lions.

As a child, Cory never felt he had to play baseball, despite the obvious family ties.

"I never really felt any pressure from my dad to play baseball," says Wine. "He always encouraged me to pursue my passions, and for me it just happened to be baseball."

The Wine's led Penn State to three straight seasons of at least 25 wins and after graduating in 2009, Cory was drafted by the Phillies. But a short slump during his first season allowed a younger, higher paid player to emerge.

He enters his tenure with the Freedom as a young player, eager to prove himself, but with a firm understanding of how much he still has to learn.

"I'm just trying to take everything in. I watch the veterans and see how they react to everything: how they prepare for each game, how they approach batting practice, and how they study pitchers. I try to pick their brains whenever I can and that's helped me tremendously."

Still, his father's teachings are always close at hand.

"My dad has had a huge influence on me. I've always watched how he handles himself, how he interacts with people. He's taught me so much about baseball, but he's taught me even more about life. I am the man I am today because of his love and guidance."

On Fathers Day, nothing could make Dad more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment